Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

DIY: Vintage Coat Alterations





I'm sure many agree that a thrift store is a great coat shopping experience. The abundance of one-of-a-kind, quality, designer pieces is overwhelming at times. However, most of these pre-loved pieces have a severely outdated shape. You may find yourself walking out looking like Cybill Shepherd in her Moonlighting days. 

To avoid this, but still get your hands on a vintage gem, I recommend a sneaky nip-tuck or two to update the shape and create a modern and unique winter coat. 

Usually the outdated shape is emphasised in the shoulder region. Sometimes fixing this can be as easy as unpicking the shoulder pads. In this case, my coats shoulders could have doubled as a helicopter landing pads, so I needed to make some major alterations to the shoulder seam itself. All this takes is some pinning, fitting, and re-stitching. For step-by-step instructions, see the video. 

Good luck on any vintage alteration projects of your own!

5 comments:

  1. Great tutorial - If you ever do something with converting a vintage men's coat into a women's one (ie boxy to shaped at the waist) please do share! I've got a great wool coat in the closet waiting for a DIY.

    Devon
    InformedStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your style so much!
    I would really appreciate it if you could come and check our latest post "Haute Couture Autumn Winter 2012".

    LOVE,
    A&G

    Our Blog - F A S H I O N O X Y G E N
    Our Blog - L O O K B O O K
    Our Instagram - F A S H I O N O X Y G E N INSTAGRAM
    Our Facebook- F A S H I O N O X Y G E N FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  3. very helpful diy! but this is going to be difficult for me to do lol

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis